The Polhill Arms opened as a public house in 1851 by Higgins & Sons Limited brewers of Bedford, In September 1931 Higgins & Sons was sold to Wells & Winch of Biggleswade and all pubs were sold including The Polhill Arms. In 1961 Greene King & Sons acquires Wells & Winch of Biggleswade and all pubs were transferred to Greene King of which we are still part of. The pub has seen many eras from its victorian roots including two world wars below is a list of all former Licensees on record.
|1869-1876 James Sletcher (also a Tea Dealer)||1970-1972 Dawn Ellen Jackson|
|1890 Abraham Slecher||1972-1973 John Seymour Griffiths|
|1903-1904 George Pedley||1973-1976 Peter John Ronald Cole|
|1904 Mary Pedley||1976-1984 Gordon Wallace Hooper|
|1904 Charles Dean||1984-1988 Barry Goodson|
|1904-1914 Thomas William Pettit||1988-1995 Peter Eric Allen|
|1914-1916 Herbert Masters||1995-1996 Alan?|
|1916-1917 Harry Webb||1996-2002 Walter Hicks|
|1917-1919 Phoebe Jane Biggs||2002-2003 Paul Anthony Charles Smith|
|1919-1920 Albert Samuel Brimley||2003-2008 Richard Mitchell|
|1920-1927Thomas Wadner||2008-2009 Rachel Boot|
|1927-1964 Joseph Stapleton||2009-2021 Paul Anthony Charles Smith|
|1965-1970 Peter Bales Hansford|
The Polhill Arms Renhold gained its name from the Polhill-Turner family of Howbury Hall and our pub sign bears the family coat of arms, We are now the only pub called The Polhill Arms with the only other that was in Halstead Kent closed in November 2014.